A “knot” in a muscle is when it contracts (shortens) or spasms. This happens due to injury, overuse, bad posture, stress or a sedentary lifestyle.
A muscle knot is when your muscle remains flexed and refuses to relax, which is the reason why they can be so painful. The medical term for muscle knots is myofascial trigger points.
HOW TO REDUCE KNOTS
- Apply heat in the form of a hot water bottle or pad to muscular knots. Never apply heat directly to the skin. Use a towel or other insulation to prevent damage to the skin. Applying heat will bring the blood flow to the sore muscles, aiding in relaxation and helping to relieve pain.
- For the first 48 hours following an injury cold treatment is recommended. After this initial period, the most beneficial form of thermal treatment is alternating ice and heat. Never apply ice or heat directly to the skin. Use a towel or other insulation to prevent damage to the skin. First apply ice to the area using an ice pack for 10 minutes. Follow the ice with heat using a hot water bottle or pad applied for 20 minutes.
- Anti-inflammatory medication will help reduce any inflammation.
- Periodically stretching your muscles as much as you are able to will help to bring blood and oxygen to the deepest parts of the muscles, helping then to get healthy. A foam roller can help improve blood circulation, accelerate the body’s breakdown of lactic acid post-workout. Also can help improve flexibility, prevent common injuries and maintain muscular health.
- Drink plenty of water to help flush out toxins in your bloodstream as it can become far to concentrated when there is no water in your system.
- Eat potassium in your diet. Whether your eating a baked potato, strawberries or a banana these can help prevent muscle cramps and knots.
- Massage – A firm treatment can help ease discomfort, improve posture, break down fibres areas , stretch the muscles and relax the whole body.
- Combining a good exercise regime and good nutrition will reduce trigger points forming.
If you’d like to find out more about this why not pick up the phone to me and call me on 01603 514195 or fill in my contact form.