We forget about the importance of relaxation because modern life is full of hassles, deadlines, frustrations and demands. For many people stress becomes a way of life but stress isn’t always bad.
In small doses, it can help you perform under pressure and motivate you to do your best. We are constantly running from one thing to another and our mind & bodies are paying the price.
Relaxation is both a physical and mental state of mind which is an essential element in helping an individual to maintain and optimize their physical and mental well-being. It is the antidote to stress which is known to contribute to the development of disease. When we relax, our body has an opportunity to unwind.
The benefits of relaxation have been well researched and some of these are:
RELAXATION – PHYSICAL BENEFITS:
- Reduces blood pressure.
- Slows the rate of breathing, which reduces the need for oxygen.
- Increases blood flow to the muscles.
- Gives the heart a rest by slowing the heart rate.
- Decreases muscle tension.
AS A RESULT OF RELAXATION, MANY PEOPLE EXPERIENCE:
- More energy and a greater level of efficiency.
- Improved quality and quantity of sleep.
- Enhanced immunity.
- Increased concentration.
- Better problem-solving abilities.
- Smoother emotions – less anger, crying, anxiety and frustration.
- Reduced aches, pains and headaches.
A FEW EXAMPLES OF HEALTH PROBLEMS THAT CAN BE HELPED BY RELAXATION:
- Gastrointestinal – Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Respiratory – Asthma
- Cardiovascular – High Blood Pressure
- Musculoskeletal – Headaches, Arthritis, Back pain
- Reproductive – Infertility, Menopause, Premenstrual Syndrome
- Immune – Rheumatoid, Arthritis, Herpes Simplex, Colds and Flu
- Skin – Eczema, Psoriasis
- Neurological– Multiple Sclerosis, Migraine & Epilepsy
- Psychological– Anxiety/ Stress, Depression & Panic attacks
- General– Insomnia & Chronic Pain
Relaxation isn’t just about finding a hobby, having a glass of wine or watching a film. Relaxation is a process that decreases wear and tear on our mind, body and soul. Whether you have a lot of stress in your life or you feel you have got it under control, you can benefit from relaxation.
If you’d like to find out more about this why not pick up the phone to me and call me on 01603 514195 or fill in my contact form.